Sunday, June 22, 2008

Promotional Interview with Dr Barbara Holstein

Name: Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein

Tell us about yourself – where you are from, how you got started writing, what you do when you are not writing (or anything you want our readers to know)

I've been in private practice for 26 years in Long Branch , New Jersey with my husband, Russell Marc Holstein, Ph.D. I am a positive psychologist, having published my first book in this discipline, THE ENCHANTED SELF, A Positive Therapy, in l997. I focus on helping women be happy, and live meaningful, purposeful lives by reclaiming their talents, strengths and even lost potential. I have also been a school psychologist for over 25 years.

I have a comprehensive website and blog for women at http://www.enchantedself.com/ , a blog, THE ENCHANTED SELF on typepad and conduct seminars, lectures, teleclasses and workshops. I host Happiness, For Women Only, on www.internetvoicesradio.com and THE ENCHANTED SELF Magazine of www.ladybuglive.com

In July, 2007, my newest positive psychology book, The Truth, I’m Ten, I’m Smart and I Know Everything, was released. You will fall in love with the ten year old girl in this book, who has the courage and the wits to put into writing what every woman should remember about herself, her children and the truths that really matter.

What inspired you to write your first book?

I started to do case study research on women of all ages, about 18 years ago. The research documented that women have a greater capacity for happiness than they realize. I saw that they need encouragement to focus on ways to let happiness happen and even needed a name to name the state of well-being that is a happy state unique to each woman. I called this state THE ENCHANTED SELF(R) and found myself filled with passion to share my information with women so that they could celebrate and document the positive parts of themselves. I was filled with inspiration and that of course led to my first book is titled, THE ENCHANTED SELF, A Positive Therapy.

How many books have you written?

I have written 4 books and edited one other.

How do you decide on their topic?

I have continued my research on women and girls via documenting ways to improve happiness with my clients, and developing materials and techniques for achieving more happiness. Each book I write tackles a slightly different aspect of Happiness. RECIPES FOR ENCHANTMENT, The Secret Ingredient is YOU! does it through storytelling and journal writing. And DELIGHT does it through coming with me on a spiritual journey.. FEEL GOOD STORIES which I edited for Bernice Becker, who is my mother, is filled with the pure humor and happiness of being alive.

What works best to keep you focused and on track?

Definitely a project of some sort. For example, for THE TRUTH, I'm Ten, I'm Smart and I Know Everything! I am already working on the girl's version of the book-for ages 10-14, a Chinese version of the book for school children in China, which will include English and Chinese languages, and the sequel to this book which will take the girl from ages 11 to almost 14.

Do you write to make money or for the love of writing?

I would like to say for both, but so far the love is winning out.

What are some traditional methods of marketing you have used to gain visibility for you and your book(s)?

I have used publicists, which has led to me being on many, many radio shows over the years. I also keep up a website, www.enchantedself.com and of course, have a blog, http://enchantedself.typepad.com/ I am often quoted in magazines. For example, I was recently interviewed for Time Magazine on the web at http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1631176_1630611_1...

What are some unique methods?

I have hosted a cable television show, entitled, THE ENCHANTED SELF which I have done as a service to the public, but which also has built my reputation and made people aware of my books. You can see some of these shows now on the web at http://www.enchantedself.com/tvandvideo.html

Do you sell through a website?

Yes I do, at www.enchantedself.com and of course on Amazon.

Do you plan on writing additional books?

Absolutely. As I mentioned above, the second book in the series about 'the girl' is already more than half written. It is coming along great!

Interview Presented by -
Nikki Leigh - Author
www.nikkileigh.com/promo.htm
"Coastal Suspense with a Touch of Romance"

No comments: