Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Promotional Interview with Rebecca Benston

You have been invited to share your promotional experience with others.
Your Name: Rebecca Benston

1. Where you are from and where are you now? I’m originally from Springfield, OH and that is where I live now.

2. How did you get started writing? I started writing poems in elementary school, two of which made it into one of our school yearbooks. Woo-hoo.

3. What do you do when you are not writing? I work part-time at our local library. I am also the mother of one very silly four-year old girl.

4. What would readers like to know about you? I’m not sure. I used to be a Human Resources Manager and after about eight years or so of doing that, I realized that I hated my work. I wanted to spend more time with my little girl and I wanted to do something I enjoyed. I quit my job and complete restructured my life. Although it was hard on my husband and I financially, it has been a great move in terms of healthy lifestyles and peace of mind.

5. What inspired your first book? I’m a mystery lover. I wanted to write something that would capture the things I love about mystery. The twists, turns and outright craziness that are usually at the heart of a great caper. I wanted to create a story that would entertain me while I wrote and that would draw readers to my main character.

6. How many books have you written? I’ve written two.

7. What are the titles of your books and what genres are they? Both books are part of the Rona Shively Stories mystery series. The titles are In the Wash and Under Lock and Key.

8. How do you decide on that topic or genre? It’s my favorite. Everything I love has something to do with mystery.

9. How do you manage to keep yourself focused and on track? I haven’t. Sometimes I’m on track, sometimes I’m off. I have a four-year old, so I allow myself the flexibility of writing when it makes sense. I tried to write every day, but sometimes that doesn’t work out. I try to work on something writing related every day, but lately I haven’t been able to write as much as I would like.

10. Do you write to make money or for the love of writing? It’s definitely not for the money. I love to write and I love to talk about writing with my readers and with other writers. Writing opens up a whole new world for me.

11. What are some traditional methods of marketing you have used? Calling bookstores, internet promotion, book signing events, etc.

12. What are some unique methods of marketing you have used? I’m not sure. I’m kind of running out of marketing ideas. ☹

13. Do you sell through a website? If so, what’s the address? If not, why not? Yes, http://www.theronashivelystories.com or http://www.wordsiview.blogspot.com.

14. Where can people order your books? Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Publishamerica, my websites.

15. What format are your books – e-book, print, audio etc? Paperback

16. Will you write more books? Definitely.

17. What do you have in the works now? I’m working on the third book in the Rona Shively series. I’m also working on a short story featuring a supporting character from the series. I have a non-fiction project in the works as well. It’s about women’s self-esteem and will feature vignettes from women as well as information and commentary from myself on women’s issues today.

18. What does the future hold for you and your books? I hope it holds something great! Whatever it is, I’m just happy to be a part of things.

19. What was the most successful thing you did to promote your books? Not being afraid to reach out and contact people.

20. What was the least successful thing you did to promote your books? I’m not sure anything qualifies. If I reach one person, I consider it successful. No effort is wasted effort.

This interview was done in conjunction with Nikki Leigh, author of the Book Promo 101 series. For more information, visit – www.nikkileigh.com/promo.htm.

No comments: