Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Emilio Corsetti Promotional Interview

You have been invited to share your promotional experience with others.
Your Name: Emilio Corsetti III

1. Where you are from and where are you now?

I was born and raised in Conway, Pennsylvania. Conway is a small town about thirty miles north of Pittsburgh. I now reside in Lake St. Louis, Missouri with my wife Lynn and our black lab MJ.

2. How did you get started writing?

I’ve been told (by wife on more than one occasion) that I suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder. When I’m writing, though, I am able to stay focused for hours on end. I am convinced that the brains of creative people are wired differently. I started writing because I had something to say.

3. What do you do when you are not writing?

Like most writers I am an avid reader. I spend countless hours every day lost in stories either in book form or on film. I am also an avid golfer. I also enjoy spending time with my wife.

4. What would readers like to know about you?

I think readers should know that I am more than qualified to tell the story of ALM Flight 980. I have been a professional pilot for thirty plus years. I soloed before I had my driver’s license. I also have several thousand hours in a jet similar to the one that ditched.

5. What inspired your first book?

I was fascinated by the story of an aircraft running out of fuel and having to ditch and wanted to know more about the people who were involved.

6. How many books have you written?

This is my first book.

7. What are the titles of your books and what genres are they?

The title of my just released book is 35 Miles From Shore: The Ditching and Rescue of ALM Flight 980. This is a nonfiction narrative. At one point I was referring to myself as a professional pilot and aviation writer. I decided that I didn’t want to be thought of as only an aviation writer, so I now say that I am a professional pilot and author.

8. How do you decide on that topic or genre?

As an author I am interested in telling stories that interest me and have a reason for existing. If an idea popped into my head for a novel, I might go in that direction. More than likely, though, I’d want to stick to compelling true stories.

9. How do you manage to keep yourself focused and on track?

Writing anything is hard work. You start by knowing that one page leads to another page and so on. Soon you have a first draft. There was a point shortly after finishing the first draft of 35 Miles From Shore when I was the only person in the world who knew this story. That was an amazing moment.

10. Do you write to make money or for the love of writing?

Writers write to be read. I’d rather have one story that stands the test of time than have a book come out every year just to meet an obligation to a publisher or for a paycheck.

11. What are some traditional methods of marketing you have used?

Web site, blog, reviews, press release, virtual book tour (starts in May), physical book tour (starts in May), advanced copies, free copies to people whom I interviewed, free copies to web sites in exchange for a mention and link.

12. What are some unique methods of marketing you have used?

There isn’t one thing that stands out. It’s the cumulative effect of all of the above that makes a difference.

13. Do you sell through a website? If so, what’s the address? If not, why not?

I sell eBook versions and autographed copies from www.35milesfromshore.com. I don’t have the time or desire to sell and ship books myself. I do have a direct link to Amazon.com using Amazon Associates HTML so I can earn a commission on books ordered from my site.

14. Where can people order your books?

Wherever fine books are sold.

15. What format are your books – e-book, print, audio etc?

35 Miles From Shore is available as a paperback and in the following eBook formats: Palm, Mobipocket/Kindle, Sony, MS Reader, and PDF.

16. Will you write more books?

I have learned a few things from this experience. I am very proud of the book that I have written. I will only tackle another book if the story excites me from day one and never lets up.

17. What do you have in the works now?

I have written a screenplay adaptation of the book. I have also written a second screenplay that deals with hope and the power of the mind over the body.

18. What does the future hold for you and your books?

Many people have thought about writing a book and for one reason or another they have never completed the task. Despite the odds against success and the very real possibility of failure, I have accomplished what I set out to do.

19. What was the most successful thing you did to promote your books?

There is no better marketing tool than a review. A favorable review is an unbiased endorsement. I choose 85% of the books I read based on reviews. Having a web site has also been an important factor. A review might pique someone’s interest. A visit to the web site allows them to learn more and gives them a method for purchasing the book.

20. What was the least successful thing you did to promote your books?

It’s too early in the process to say. So far everything I am doing is having a direct impact on sales.

This interview was done in conjunction with Nikki Leigh, author of the Book Promo 101 series. For more information, visit – www.nikkileigh.com/promo.htm.

No comments: