Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Promotional Interview with Ginger Simpson

You have been invited to share you experience with our readers.

Name: Ginger Simpson

Tell us about yourself – where you are from, how you got started writing, what you do when you are not writing (or anything you want our readers to know)

I’ve always loved reading historical romance and was inspired to try my hand at writing one of my own. In 2002 I sat down at my computer and started typing. I felt as if I was telling myself a story and couldn’t wait to see what happened next. That’s when I discovered that I write by the seat of my pants. My characters drag me wherever they want to go and I never know the outcome until I’ve written it.

What inspired you to write your first book?

As I said, I was inspired by my love of reading. I ran out of books that had ‘savage’ in the title and decided to write one of my own.

How many books have you written?

I currently have six books and five novellas published with two more contracted and soon to be released.

How do you decide on their topic?

I don’t really decide. Storylines come to me from no where in particular and I name my characters and let them run with the idea.

What works best to keep you focused and on track?

Finding quiet time when I can sit without interruption and get in touch with my characters. I try to have coffee with them occasionally to ask the questions to which I need answers.

Do you write to make money or for the love of writing?

I’d love to make money writing, but since my royalty checks barely cover the cost of a McDonald’s happy meal, I do it for the love. It’s actually a stress release for me. I can let my characters act in ways that I don’t dare.

What are some traditional methods of marketing you have used to gain visibility for you and your book(s)?

Many of the same that all authors are advised to utilize: personal website, participation in writing, publishing and review loops, handing out promotional materials such as personalized key chains, bookmarks, pens.

What are some unique methods?

For my first release I prepared a trifold containing an excerpt. The front displayed the cover, ISBN and ordering information, and I left these wherever I went. I also included them in things I mailed. I created a book bag with pictures of all my book covers and an invitation to "ask me about my books." I carried it when I went to car shows and public places. Anything that stirs interest is helpful. I also started a newsletter group that has now grown to over 500. Every month I share information, personal and professional with my fan base. One of my favorites was ordering business-card-sized CDs and downloading excerpts from several books and offering them as a reward for those who enticed others to join my newsletter.

Do you sell through a website?

I can only do that with one book since I exclusively hold the print rights to it. My other contracts stipulate that I can only sell through the publisher’s site or my own.

Do you plan on writing additional books?

Of course. Writing is my life and I’m not happy unless I have at least two works-in-progress. Now writing has become a challenge. Every new work is my hope for achieving a little more notoriety than I did with the previous one.

This interview was done in conjunction with Nikki Leigh, Author of Book Promo 101 - www.nikkileigh.com/promo.htm.

No comments: