Thursday, May 22, 2008

Promotional Interview -- Nadia Aidan

Tell us about yourself – where you are from, how you got started writing, what you do when you are not writing (or anything you want our readers to know)

Born in Atlanta Georgia, and raised in Washington DC, my mother was an avid reader so I grew up surrounded by books and always dreamed of becoming a romance novelist. I had to put that dream on hold as I tackled finishing my doctorate degree in Political Science and Public Policy. Now as an Assistant Professor I have finally come to a place in my life where I can devote myself to my passion of writing.

In addition to writing erotic romances I enjoy reading other authors, playing flag football, studying muay thai, working out, listening to music, and scuba diving.

My other interests include collecting Top Cow comics, especially Witchblade and Tomb Raider. I love professional football and soccer. My favorite teams are the Washington Redskins and Manchester United, respectively.

What inspired you to write your first book?

I began writing about a year ago when I was finishing my dissertation, but once I finished my dissertation I didn’t look at the novels again. It wasn’t until my mom was diagnosed with uterine cancer that I began searching for an outlet for the emotional highs and lows of taking care of her. My mom recently lost her battle to cancer, which finally gave me the courage to submit my work. My mother was (and continues to be in spirit) my biggest cheerleader and support system. She was a strong, courageous woman who wasn’t afraid of anything and she raised me to be the same. I know she would have been disappointed in me if I let insecurity and fear stop me from submitting my work.

How many books have you written?

So many that I really can't count off the top of my head! However, besides Enthralled, I currently have three books unver review with publishers, so officially four!

How do you decide on their topic?

I write what inspires me a the moment. Whatever I feel like seeing on paper I just sit down there and write it.

Do you write to make money or for the love of writing?

For the love of it of course! As a new writer, this isn't even about money. I mainly wanted to simply PUBLISH my book and now that I have I want to just get my name out there because I truly believe in my work and have such a passion for what I do that I want to share it!

What are some traditional methods of marketing you have used to gain visibility for you and your book(s)?

I submitted Enthralled to reviewers, although in hindsight I should have done it sooner. I also purchased ad space on several romance sites and marketed myself through several author chats. Finally, I sent promotional materials (bookmarks, notepads, magnets) to several book stores and book clubs.

What are some unique methods?

I don't think anything that I have done has been unusual at all! Although, I will say that I have stepped out of my comfort zone quite a bit. I haven't been in a chat room for over fifteen years and I certainly haven't posted a blog in close to two but promoting my book has driven me to rely upon a lot of media tools that I normally don't use.

Do you sell through a website?

I do! Go to www.nadiaaidan.com

Do you plan on writing additional books?

I am working on a five book contemporary series titled Friends and Lovers. The first title, Sweet Revenge is currently under review with an editor and hopefully it will be released in the next few months. This is actually the first book I ever wrote so it is very dear to my heart

Interview Presented by -
Nikki Leigh
www.nikkileigh.com/book_promo_101.htm

No comments: